Making History in Central North America
"Based on the world-renowned collections of the Newberry Library in Chicago, “Frontier to Heartland” offers access to historical primary sources, scholarly perspectives on the past, and resources..."
Essays with a point of view
"explain how central North America came to be known as a "frontier" and then a "heartland". you can trace the history of the region over 400 years, consider the cultural power of images, or learn how to read historic maps."
- Four Centuries
- "a chronological overview of the region from 1600 to the present."
- Two Visions of the Frontier
- the historian's west vs. the showman's west
- Making Sense of Historic Maps
- Rethinking the Heartland
- "suggest the varied images of the region over time, and the varied experiences of its inhabitants"
Thematic collections of images
- Food, Farming, and Community
- Working on the Railroad
- A Woman's Place
- Protest and Free Speech
- Performing Culture
255 Images sorted by title, date, and place.