|Trowel and Trench from the recent 2014 Fort Ancient excavations. |
Image Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
July 8, 2014.
Juli Six, of the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog, has written a brief post about Fort Ancient's recent field school and archaeological excavations of the Moorehead Circle.
"Of primary interest is a circular anomaly approximately 60 meters in diameter. The “Moorehead Circle” is surrounded by post molds that each extend three feet into the ground. Excavations in the central area of the circle revealed a large deposit of burned red clay. It seems the more they dig the more splendid things they discover."
For more information about the Moorehead Circle, Fort Ancient, and the Hopewell Culture,
- Summer Field School Students Study Fort Ancient & Pickawillany
- November 8, 2013.
- Giant Map for a Huge Earthwork
- January 31, 2014.
- The Ancient Ohio Trail
- Fort Ancient
- Virtual First Ohioans
- Ancient Fort?
- Ohio History Connection, October 2, 2013.
- The Moorehead Circle- A Ceremonial Machine
- Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog, December 23, 2012.
- Secrets of the Moorehead Circle
- Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog, August 2, 2011.
- Wooden "Stonehenge" Emerges From Prehistoric Ohio
- National Geographic, July 20, 2010.