|The Law Library of Congress Indigenous Law Portal Map.|
Image Courtesy of In Custodia Legis: Law Librarians of Congress.
Tina Gheen, of In Custodia Legis: Law Librarians of Congress Blog, has written an interesting post about the goals and functions of the new Indigenous Law Portal which contains collection materials from the Law Library of Congress, links to tribal websites and primary source materials available on the web arranged by region within the United States. Work is expected to begin soon on collating Canada's indigenous materials.
"Indigenous law materials can be difficult to locate for a variety of reasons. Tribal laws are usually maintained by individual tribes or groups of tribal peoples who may or may not have the resources to make them available in electronic format, or they may only be passed on through oral tradition. In some cases tribal legal materials are available electronically, but they may not be available freely on the Web, or the tribe may want to restrict outside access to the materials. However, through our research, we have found many tribes compile their laws and ordinances into a code, and they often provide a digital version of their most recent code and constitution online. In the Law Library, we already have digitized copies of historic
American Indian constitutions from our collection and other legal materials available on our website.
It makes sense to bring all these materials together in one place."
- Class KIA-KIX Law of Indigenous Peoples in the Americas (PDF)
- a "new classification schedule... to provide for the first time a geopolitical and substantive arrangement for the Indigenous populations in the Americas, their organization, and the unique and complex body of legal sources."
- General Resources
- Global Resources
- Center for the World Indigenous Studies
- Indigenous Law Journal
- TEBTEBBA- Indigenous Peoples' International Centre for Policy Research and Education
- United States Resources
- Law Gateways
- Research Guides
- Indian Law Societies
- Land Law
- Economic Law
- Social Services
- Environmental Law
- Medical Legislation
- Nationality and Citizenship
- Public Property
- Courts and Procedure
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO)
- Indian Law Resource Center
- International Indian Treaty Council
- National Indigenous Organizations
- American Indian Development Associates
- National Congress of American Indians
- Tribal Law and Policy Institute
- National Regions
- North Central (Ohio)