Thursday, October 2, 2014

Newark's Great Circle History

The Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog has posted a series of posts on the past of the Newark Earthworks by Bill Pickard and Brad Lepper. They not only include not only a basic overview of the recent history of the earthworks' preservation but also include photos of primary historical sources.

The Newark Earthworks as Licking County's Fairgrounds. Image Courtesy of The Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
The Newark Earthworks as Licking County's Fairgrounds.
Image Courtesy of The Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
 November 18, 2008

"in the time since the city of Newark was founded in 1802, the earthworks have undergone a number of significant changes. Many of the mounds and smaller earthworks disappeared literally overnight as Newark expanded and further progress came to that part of Licking County, in the form of the canal system followed by the railroad and finally an improved highway system. It wasn’t so long until what was once an absolute marvel of engineering, construction and human endeavor was reduced to just its two largest elements, the Great Circle and its cross-town neighbor, the conjoined Observatory Circle and Octagon at Octagon Earthworks State Memorial. "

To read the full post, click here.


Image Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.

October 20, 2009

"Well into the 20th century the Great Circle continued to see its share of use and abuse as a county fairgrounds and finally as an amusement park and I have been told that as late as 1932 the race track remained a favored venue for motorcycle racing. It was about time to treat the Great Circle with the respect due such a magnificent example of human endeavor."
-Bill Pickard, The Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.

To read the full post, click here.

Licking County Fairground buildings. Civilian Conservation Corps photograph, May 1934. Image Courtesy of Ohio Memory and the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
Licking County Fairground buildings. Civilian Conservation Corps photograph, May 1934.
Image Courtesy of Ohio Memory and the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
September 1, 2014.

"In 1933, the Licking County Commissioners deeded the Great Circle to the Ohio History Connection. By then, the fair grounds attractions had become objectionable features and with help from the Civilian Conservation Corps(CCC) we removed the last above-ground remnants of the fairgrounds and restored the earthworks to our best approximation of their original condition."

To read the full post, click here.


For more information, 
Visit:
Post a Comment