Heather Beattey, of the OARS Research News of Miami University, has written an informative article about the importance of self-identity for Native students to achieve college success.
"Among the pair’s initial findings are that in contrast to the low – below 20% on average – federally-reported graduation rates of Native Americans from most non-tribal colleges, the graduation rate of Myaamia students from Miami University is much higher – 75% in 2012. They attribute much of this success to a series of one-credit-hour courses Miami Indian Heritage Award recipients are required to take each semester for the majority of their tenure at the University."
For more information,
- Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
- The Myaamia Center
- Miami University
- niila myaamia- I Am Miami: The impact of the Miami University experience on the Myaamia student.
- Susan Mosley-Howard & Kate Rousmaniere
- 2014 Myaamiaki Conference
- Myaamia Center Youtube Channel
- Why don't more minority students seek STEM careers? Ask them.
- Brown University, Science Daily. December 1, 2014.