TimesReporter.com has written a short article about Bruce Lombardo's recent lecture about the Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks and their nomination towards UNESCO World Heritage protection. Mr. Bruce Lombardo is the director for the Heartland Earthworks Conservancy and a park ranger for Hopewell Culture National Historical Park.
"The sites are not just random structures but ceremonial centers characterized by a variety of large earthwork constructions that feature precise geometric shapes and standard units of measure. Also significant is the fact that the mounds contain extensive ritual deposits of finely crafted artifacts. If the nomination is successful, it could mean a significant increase in tourism to Ohio including Coshocton County."
For more information,
- World Heritage Ohio
- UNESCO World Heritage
- Our Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Hopewell Culture?
- What is UNESCO World Heritage
- What are the Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks sites?
- Heartland Earthworks Conservancy
- Hopewell Culture National Historical Park
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Criteria and Site State of Preservation
- May 5, 2015.