Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Smithsonian X 3D

Smithsonian is developing 3-D models of its collections.
 Their website, Smithsonian X 3D "launches a set of use cases which apply various 3D capture methods to iconic collection objects, as well as scientific missions...Researchers working in the field may not come back with specimens, but with 3D data documenting a site or a find. Curators and educators can use 3D data as the scaffolding to tell stories or send students on a quest of discovery. Conservators can benchmark today’s condition state of a collection item against a past state – a deviation analysis of 3D data will tell them exactly what changes have occurred. All of these uses cases are accessible through the Beta Smithsonian X 3D Explorer, as well as videos documenting the project. For many of the 3D models, raw data can be downloaded to support further inquiry and 3D printing.... With only 1% of collections on display in Smithsonian museum galleries, digitization affords the opportunity to bring the remaining 99% of the collection into the virtual light. All of these digital assets become the infrastructure which will allow not just the Smithsonian, but the world at large to tell new stories about the familiar, as well as the unfamiliar, treasures in these collections."
-Günter Waibel, Director, Digitization Program Office, Smithsonian


Post a Comment