Brad Lepper, of the Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog, has written a short post about a 1931 visit to the Newark Earthworks by "A group of “Tama Indians” (mostly Fox and Sac from Iowa)... They were there as part of the King Brothers Wild West Rodeo".
"First of all, it’s refreshing to find someone during this period taking an interest in what American Indians might have had to say about the earthen monuments constructed by their ancestors.
Second, in spite of his unfamiliarity with these earthworks, Chief Buffalo had a pretty good understanding of their antiquity, the effort involved in building them, and the sorts of tools used in their construction..."
For more information,
- Licking County Historical Society
- Meskwaki Nation/Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa
- Sac and Fox Nation
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
- Newark Earthworks
- Ancient Ohio Trail
- The Archaeoastronomy of the Newark Earthworks
- Ohio History Connection Archaeology Blog.
- December 22, 2013.
- A New & Extended Case for Lunar (& Solar) Astronomy at the Newark Earthworks
- July 24, 2013.
- Hopewell Moon
- January 8, 2015.