|"Two walkers scale Monks Mound at Cahokia Mounds Historic Site. Several walkers and runners use the promenade for exercise. The mound is 100 feet tall, and at last count, 154 steps. " |
Image & Caption Courtesy of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Margaret S. Gillerman, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, has written an article about the exciting success of a crowdfunding campaign to print brochures for Cahokia Mounds, a thriving city from A.D. 700 to A.D. 1400, after recent budget cuts.
" At its peak, from A.D. 1050 to 1200, the city covered nearly six square miles and 10,000 to 20,000 people lived here. Over 120 mounds were built over time, and most of the mounds were enlarged several times. Houses were arranged in rows and around open plazas, and vast agricultural fields lay outside the city."
"On Jan. 30, the Cahokia Mounds Museum Society set up a plea on the fund-raising site, gofundme.org, to raise $7,500. By Wednesday, it had surpassed its goal; by Friday, it had raised $8,716, from 543 people.
The $7,500 will cover printing of about 200,000 brochures, expected to last about three years, said Lori Belnap, executive director of the society.
“We were so happy to see we got everything we needed to print the brochures and so happy to see all the support for our site,” said Belnap. “I’m so grateful the word got out.”
Any surplus from the donations will be used for one of the society’s other projects, all of them strapped by state cuts, she said."
For more information,
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site
- Cahokia Mounds World Heritage Page
- Heartlands Conservancy
- The Mounds- America's First Cities Campaign Facebook
- Uncovering Ancient St. Louis
- The Archaeology Channel
- National Park Service World Heritage
- UNESCO World Heritage
- Archaeology Students Discover Prehistoric Sweat Lodge at Cahokia Mounds.
- October 16, 2014.
- Recent Excavation May Reveal Cahokia Mounds Inhabitants' Beliefs
- August 15, 2014.
- Ceremonial 'Axis' Road Discovered in Heart of Ancient City of Cahokia
- June 5, 2014.
- Cahokia was America's First 'Melting Pot'
- March 17, 2014.
- Epic Fire Marked 'Beginning of the End' for Ancient Culture of Cahokia, New Digs Suggest
- February 28, 2014.
- Did a Mega-Flood Doom Ancient American City of Cahokia?
- November 13, 2013.
- Cahokia Mounds Welcomes 10 Millionth Visitor Since it Became a World Heritage Site
- September 5, 2013.