|The Illinois State Archaeological Survey excavation crew works at the dig site,|
while the St. Louis skyline looms in the background.
Image Courtesy of the Illinois State A and The Daily Illini.
Dixi Limbachia, of The Daily Illini, has written a detailed article about the recent archaeological discovery of further sections of the 1,000 year old city of Cahokia in the eastern side of the mounds.
"The Illinois State Archaeological Survey at the University discovered of 1,000-year-old city and uncovered artifacts dating back to an ancient Native American settlement.
The prehistoric city that was excavated is one part of an urbanized area that belonged to the Cahokia civilization. According to Joe Galloy, research coordinator for the American Bottom Field Station, the area encompassed by the Cahokia mounds – stretching from East St. Louis to Collinsville – would have been bigger than London at that time.
The excavation project caught the archaeologists’ attention when reconstruction plans for I-70 began to commence. Original plans involved the highway going through the archaeological site. "
For more information,
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site
- Illinois State Archaeological Survey
- World Heritage
- Heartlands Conservancy
- The Mounds: National Monument/Park
- The Mounds- America's First Cities Campaign Facebook
- Uncovering Ancient St. Louis
- The Archaeology Channel
- UNESCO World Heritage
- Preservation Group Promotes Designating Cahokia Mounds as National Park Site
- February 25, 2016.
- The Mounds- America's First Cities Project
- November 19, 2015.
- Prehistoric Earthworks of the Mississippi Valley
- November 3, 2015.
- America's Largest Earthwork, Cahokia's Monks Mound, May Have Been Built in Only 20 Years, Study Says
- October 19, 2015.
- Victims of Human Sacrifice at Cahokia Were Locals, Not 'Foreign' Captives, Study Finds
- September 18, 2015,
- World Heritage Sites in the United States
- May 21, 2015.
- As the river rises: Cahokia's emergence and decline linked to Mississippi River flooding
- May 15, 2015.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Which Contain Earthworks or Monumental Architecture*
- May 12, 2015.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Criteria and Site State of Preservation
- May 5, 2015.
- UNESCO World Heritage Center's Portal to the Heritage of Astronomy
- April 21, 2015.
- World Heritage in the United States National Park Service
- April 14, 2015.
- City of the Moon
- April 1, 2015.
- Illinois Budget Cuts Felt by Supporters of the Cahokia Mounds Historic Site
- March 6, 2015.
- Archaeology Students Discover Prehistoric Sweat Lodge at Cahokia Mounds.
- October 16, 2014.
- Recent Excavation May Reveal Cahokia Mounds Inhabitants' Beliefs
- August 15, 2014.
- Stories Hidden in Fort Ancient Teeth
- July 31, 2014.
- Ceremonial 'Axis' Road Discovered in Heart of Ancient City of Cahokia
- June 5, 2014.
- Cahokia was America's First 'Melting Pot'
- March 17, 2014.
- Epic Fire Marked 'Beginning of the End' for Ancient Culture of Cahokia, New Digs Suggest
- February 28, 2014.
- Did a Mega-Flood Doom Ancient American City of Cahokia?
- November 13, 2013.
- Cahokia Mounds Welcomes 10 Millionth Visitor Since it Became a World Heritage Site
- September 5, 2013.