Photo Courtesy of Aubs Momberg.December 26, 2016.
Adrian Jawort of Indian Country Today raised attention on the efforts Robert Hall (Blackfeet) from Montana who has been fighting to spread the dwindling language of the Blackfoot Nation. He tells of the difference in how many people speak his native language Pikuni between his childhood and today, where he grew up. Expanding of how native American languages have suffered since the time of Columbus. "American Indian children in both Canada and the United States were forcibly taken from families and sent to boarding schools …They were beaten for speaking the languages first heard across these lands”.
Maatoomsstatoos’s (known as Robert Hall) life changed after his professor told him of the benefits in learning and speaking his native language. His professor Stephen Greymorning (Arapaho) taught him that to know your native language is to know you ancestors through how they spoke and thought. Maatoomsstatoos volunteers to teach classes throughout the reservation on a weekly basis, hosts a local radio broadcast that highlights Pikuni learning, and is in the publishing process for a book on schedule to be published in 2017.
To read more, click here
For more information,
- Blackfeet Nation
- Blackfoot Language Lesson Verbs 1
- Robert Hall's Youtube Channel
- Learning the Blackfoot Language Facebook Group
- Glenbow Museum
- Niitsitapiisini | Our Way of Life (Available in Blackfoot, English, & French) Virtual Exhibit
- Ogoki Learning Inc.
- Blackfoot Language App (iTunes)
- Blackfoot Community College
- Carlisle Indian School Digital Resource Center
- Student Files
- Lists & Rosters
- National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition
- "The Northern Arapaho Tribal Historic Preservation Office hopes to return the remains of three Carlisle Indian School students buried in Pennsylvania to the Wind River Indian Reservation and their respective families"
- Alejandra Silva, Daily Journal, February 10, 2016.
- Carlisle Indian School Students Database
- Gettysburg College
- U.S. Army Garrison, Carlisle Barracks
- "American Indian Boarding Schools: An Exploration of Global Ethnic & Cultural Cleansing; A Supplementary Curriculum Guide" (PDF)
- Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways, 2011.
- The Residential School System (Canada)
- Indigenous Foundations, The University of British Columbia.
- Death by Boarding School: "The Last Acceptable Racism" and the United States' Genocide of Native Americans" (PDF)
- Ann Piccard, Gonzaga Law Review, Vol. 49. 2013.
- "Let All That is Indian Within You Die!" (PDF)
- Native American Rights Fund Legal Review. Volume 38, Number 2. Summer/Fall 2013.
- "American Indian Boarding Schools Haunt Many"
- NPR, May 19, 2008.
- The Piegan Institute
- The Blackfoot Language
- Don Frantz, University of Lethbridge.
- Bring Them Home': Rosebud Sioux Seeking Return of Relatives Buried at Carlisle Indian Industrial School
- Indian Country Today, February 18, 2016.